Thursday, January 2, 2014

January Starts Anew

Good Afternoon 2014!

Yesterday was all about relaxing with a wonderful book (Last Wool and Testament by Molly MacRae) and chocolates.
Today is all about fresh start and clean beginnings.

I cleaned off my countertops and threw away a terrible amount of stuff that had been collecting.

I also did a major tidy on my blog.  I love Christmas, the holidays, everything about it all.  But come January I need it all cleaned up.  I need to be able to breathe and enjoy what little sunlight we get this time of year.  I hope you like the changes I made. 

I was thinking last night of words that I would strive to embrace this year.  I came up with a few, there is no way I could narrow it to just one. 

Simplify.  I have too much.  I don't need it.  Someone else may.  So good hard look time at what I have that is just taking up space. 

This includes my stitching and quilting. 

In my stitching life, I know I only have limited time to stitch.  Basically the half hour before bed when I throw a show on the DVD and do a little hand stitching to calm myself until my eyes grow tired.  I have been gifted some amazing things, including a Christmas sampler that I have been wanting to do for a long time, Christmas at Hawk Run Hollow by Carriage House Samplings.  I will be working on that at some point this year, along with a Mirabilia piece call The Kiss that I am finishing up for someone who can't finish it herself.  I really need to go through my stitching stuff and purge what I know is no longer my style or something that I no longer have a desire to stitch.

In my quilting life, I have way too many unfinished projects.  Lots of quilt tops waiting for backing fabric so  can quilt them.  Several with backs that I need to quilt.  And just a lot of stuff that is various piecing stages.  What is wrong with me?  Quilt class signups start soon (I think Jan. 11th).  I just can't justify any more classes until I get a handle on my sewing.  I will however sign up for the retreat in February, maybe that will get some stuff done!  Speaking of justifying, I have discovered I have way too much fabric sitting in bins.  I have 3 bins of fabric with no purpose.  So once I get a handle on the other I will use this fabric.  No other purchases until then!!!!

Back to my words, Grateful and Cherish. 

I am grateful for family and friends and  I will cherish our time together.  This includes all of you!!!  I have met some lovely people through my blog and the blogs out there.  People I would never meet otherwise.  Thanks for being there!!!!

Ok, back to cleaning!!!!  Have a good one!

Vivian



2 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

like the blog changes xx Dont go doing too much cleaning all at once .. remeber to have a break every now and then xx

Nancy J said...

Hi Vivian, lovely ideas for 2014, I am too scared to find one word, some might well be "finish" , "discard"
"Tidy-up", but one most of all is "Appreciate" and this includes my family, pets, where I live, neighbours, and certainly not last, maybe should have been at the very front, blog friends. Enjoy stitching when you can, greetings from Jean